Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Present - No Ghosts Allowed

Christmas - the fifth without my girl - is almost over and I cannot say I'm sorry to see it go.

I spent most of the day with family; we gathered at my mother's house and there was too much food and too much wine and too much television. Way too much sugar in too many forms. And I wonder if I will ever get used to feeling so alone in such a crowd. Five nieces and nephews, three of my siblings, my mother...and I did not hear one person say her name all day. That's a lot of silence amidst all that noise.

Christmas Past - ca. 1991

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Merry Christmas to you and to Britt, dear. Even with all the silence, I bet there was still an angel on that tree.

Anonymous said...

I thought of you and Britt most especially when I was waiting for my girl to come to my house from her dad's. It's those times when I think of you, and what if she wasn't walking through that door at noon?