Wednesday, September 2, 2009

The Garden Lives On

One bad thing about not posting for so long is that I missed showing you some great photos of the garden during July and August. It's been pretty spectacular. With the exception of the tomatoes (it's been a bad year for tomatoes and my friend Cara, in Boston, has had the only brag-worthy crop I've heard about) everything has been gorgeous and delicious and - as Britt used to say - abundantly abundant. More cucumbers than we could eat, several rounds of eggplant that were yummy, bell peppers and banana peppers that have made Dave very happy, and - Oh! - those peas.

Those peas have been just incredible. We are still picking them (another full basket last night) and they are flowering again. (Do you think they heard me talking about pulling them up to make room for greens?) They are no longer that pretty....the rain has been constant and one has to sort of trample them to get to ones inside...but they are still producing. And, miracles do happen, I LIKE them. Me. Legume-hater me thinks these peas taste great. They are not grainy or sandy or gritty...they are just gooood. Which is just one more piece of proof that food you grow yourself Just Tastes Better.

Here's a shot of some peas in the kitchen...I've lost count of how many bags like this we've had. Yum.

3 comments:

Cara dB said...

Wow. I am so impressed with that big bag of peas. I want to try peas next year. (And thanks for the shout-out! I'm pretty sure the amazing tomato yield is beginner's luck, but I'll take it!)

Lisa said...

And see, in my case the good thing about not posting for so long is that I don't have to show photos of how miserably my garden did. Next year my raised beds are going to be all greens and herbs, and I'm putting the tomatoes and peppers and eggplants in pots out front -- there's just not enough sun in the back once the trees leaf out.

Eh, that's probably a whole blog post right there. I love your peas and my heart is pea-green with envy.

Mar's kids said...

mmmmmm, peas! Every year as I watch my friends' gardens grow, I inch closer to having one myself. And by that I mean "having Bob do one for me."