Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Why I Write

Random stumbling and clicking around the Internets (following my friend Cara, because she was following me yesterday ;) made me land on this quote from one my most favorite writers:

“I write entirely to find out what I’m thinking, what I’m looking at, what I see and what it means.” -Joan Didion


That really does sum it up for me. It's all about getting the stuff that's inside my head out where I can see it. If I was uber-cool, I would have a picture of myself with Ms. Didion, snapped at some fancy party or a high-toned reading for this post. (If I was super uber-cool I'd know how to put an umlaut over the "u" in uber.) Alas, I am not, and so here's a picture of Cara's cool tattoo instead. Cara is so cool, she probably knows how to make an umlaut.

3 comments:

Lisa said...

I know how to make an üüüümlaut, but that doesn't mean I'm cool... it means I have a Mac.

I'm not sure why I write. I don't know that I've ever thought about it. I guess that would be a good blog post, eh?

Debi Harbuck said...

Indeed, you are super-duper cool, also...I think having a Mac is another official mark of coolness.

And I don't think I'd ever thought about it either until I saw that quote. Sometimes you get answers before you ask the quesions...which is also cool.

Cara dB said...

Thank you! I would actually have to google to find out how to make an umlaut, I don't know the html offhand ... (in fact, I'm much better at searching for things on the internet than I am at knowing them in the first place. If that makes sense.)

I guess I've never thought about why I write, either. Huh.