Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Important Things

Last night my friend Lisa and I had a conversation about the pros and cons of random capitalization: why we do it, whether or not we should encourage it, possible cultural influences, etc. You know, just a regular Tuesday night conversation between word freaks. She told me that in German one capitalizes Important Things so as to mark their importance. I don't know if there are specific rules about what qualifies as Important or if each writer gets to choose for themselves. I hope it's the latter.

Assuming so, and if I wrote in German, these are some words I would capitalize. Always.

Grief
Loss
My Girl
Silence
Heartache
Frog Band
Bereavement
Storm

And, of course:

Friend

4 comments:

Kaethe said...

That makes a perfect little poem.

Lisa said...

Funny, I thought of blogging about that conversation too. Friend indeed.

Debi Harbuck said...

Also, SinBurning. I really think that should go on the list.

Mary Catherine said...

I thought Pie would make the list.