Monday, May 4, 2009

Flowers and Frogs and a Little Mojo


Yesterday was another day spent noodling in the garden. I finally made it out to the county transfer station to pick up the free mulch I've been going on and on about (not here, maybe, but believe me...there are a lot of people in my life who reeeally tiiiired of hearing about Free Mulch!) and may I just say...Whoa! Those are some huge piles of mulch. I resisted the urge to give into aesthetics and opted for mulch from the oldest, darkest pile and have to say I am very pleased with the results. The only problem is I didn't take enough bags and so am a few feet short of having a fully mulched plot. (There's a metaphor there, I'm sure.)

Also, there are flowers on my tomatoes! Every single one of my Better Boys has flowers like this:



Mojo hung out with me, as usual, and actually consented to having his picture taken. He's hardly ever still when we're outside and I appreciated his willingness to pose with the Buddha Frog. Sort of. He's not sure he likes that frog and keeps his distance.



And, like always, spending time in the garden was also spending time with Britt. Nothing else I've done since she was killed has made me feel as close to her; digging and planting and tending this Earth she loved so much makes her present in a way I cannot describe but for which I am very grateful.

No comments: